Monday, August 27, 2012

Mrs. S - Maylands

I am yet to go to Mrs. S Café in Maylands for an actual meal.

I have heard the brunch is amazing and  by the looks of the people lining up out the door every weekend, I can only imagine the food is impressive.

I had coffee with a girlfriend one morning at Mrs S. and although I had already had a huge brekkie, I was keen to sit in this cute café and spy on the delicious looking meals that kept coming from the kitchen!


Mrs. S. has a really kitch, quirky, charming feel to it.
Like your grandma’s house but with modern charm and some arty paintings on the walls giving it a Melbourne vibe.


The drink options are chalked up on the wall on a big blackboard and the counter sits full to the brim with cakes and desserts to tempt you as you order.


The wooden tables and chairs make you feel as if you’re sitting in Goldilocks house as you read the menu from children’s books pinned together by colour pegs.


There is a lot of colour, flowers and knick knacks that really make Mrs. S a quirky café. No wonder it is so popular!
With a communal table in the middle and a select few tables surrounding, there is not a lot of room to spare as the waitresses duck past you with constant streams of food coming from the kitchen.  

The breakfast menu is short but features some interesting options. Dishes such as mushrooms, polenta, goats curd and pesto, and cornbread with eggs, bacon and maple syrup caught my eye.
I am so tempted to try the cornbread here as my last experience of cornbread was in America where I devoured an entire basket of cornbread after wondering what on earth this yellow, cakey and unbelievably tasty bread was that was given to us as an entrée! (America and their freebies – you’ve gotta love it!)
 I’d have to omit the bacon from this dish, being the big Vego Lettuce Muncher that I am, but would happily substitute for some of those mushrooms!
As I mentioned earlier, I had already had breakfast so opted for a latte. It was smooth and hit the spot!


I’m looking forward to coming back for some of that cornbread!

The lunch menu didn’t particularly interest me as there were very limited options and a lot of red meat that I couldn’t really work around… None-the-less the meals coming from the kitchen looked fresh, clean and tasty!
I’ll be back…………. J


FYI - You order at the counter here and they bring it out to your table.
Be prepared to wait for a table if you’re visiting on a weekend. Mrs. S. is popular among the locals and those true fans!

Mrs. S on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment